Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Career paths

In deciding whether to accept an invitation to serve on a board, many if not most people start by asking, or at least wondering, "Why me?" My guess is that nominating committees will garner a higher acceptance rate when they're prepared to answer that question.

My ego is strong enough that I don't ask that particular question. I assume I've been asked to serve because of my track record in other organizations. I do ask myself two questions, however:

1. Will I be able to have an impact on the deliberations of this board, and the progress of this organization?

2. Will I be able to go "up the ladder" and possibly become president -- and if so, do I want to?

I have to be able to answer the first question with a Yes, but not necessarily the second one. There are some things I'm interested in where the presidency would require both a time commitment and a financial commitment that are beyond my means. When I involve myself with a national or international organization, achieving a committee chairmanship typically fulfills my ambitions. You typically do have to be in some kind of acknowledged leadership role to have an impact and make a difference.

I've seen a lot of organizations that publish a list of what they expect from board members. Relatively few tell board members what they may expect in return. At some point, I'll pontificate at greater length on this point, but the short version is --

a clear understanding of how long I'm enlisting for, an opportunity to rise in responsibility as an expression that there is recognition that I have made a contribution in my prior role, a chance for pesonal growth in the process of growing the organization.

No comments: